Niagara - Power and Beauty on Blurb

"Niagara - Power and Beauty" on Blurb and "Adelaide: Light and Stone" in Adelaide Bookstores -

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Trouble Connecting To Roon Core : A Solution


If you are having difficulty obtaining or maintaining a connection with your Roon Core using a mobile device you may find my experience helpful. 

I have both an Android phone (LG V30+) and an Apple IPad Pro which suddenly and for no clear reason would not consistently connect to my Roon Core which is located on a Windows 10 PC. The library is on a Synology Raid NAS. By way of contrast, the Sonos control software on the same devices has never had connection problems and music from the same file source broadcasts to the Sonos satellites very reliably. Also, the Roon software on the PC itself has had no problems with connecting.

After exploring various possible solutions including disabling Norton 360, I discovered that setting the PC to a fixed IP address was the solution. Since doing this, my controlling devices have been finding the core with minimal delays. There are still brief lags which I do not have with the Sonos Controllers but the main thing is ROON now works!

If only Roon would integrate Deezer, I could drop using the Sonos software for the most part….

If you wish to try this, you can easily find instructions on how to set a fixed IP address on YouTube. I also decided to set a fixed IP address for my NAS but that in itself did not solve the issue. It was only once the PC with the Roon Core was set that things stabilized….

#rooncore  #roon #rooncoreconnection  #roonconnection  #cantconnecttoroon


Update post - Easter --- Roon on my Android phone continued working until just before Easter and then stopped for no apparent reason for three days. On Easter Sunday it suddenly started working again for the whole day but from Easter Monday it has no-longer worked. During this whole time, Roon on my iPad has been working fine on the same network.... Go figure....

It is now May 2020 and a new Roon update has been installed. It seems a little more reliable but still not perfect. The troubleshooting continues!

It is now June 2020  and Roon has been running reliably for several weeks and the solution related to Norton 360 and its firewall. Only when I granted public network access did the problem go away... I had previously tried disabling the firewall to no avail.... This is why I had previously discounted it as the problem.... But now both the LG and the iPad connect reliably every time... provided of course the Roon core is up and running... It easy to forget if the computer needs a restart for some reason....

No comments: